Mar 16, 2011

Going Organic

So, I've just spent a small fortune on organic bedding in the hope that it will improve the symptoms I've come to associate with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities).

It's a fairly big investment but I wanted to do it sooner rather than later just in case it works.  I mean, what if I waited six years until I could really afford it and realised I'd wasted my late twenties/early thirties feeling far more ill than I had to?

Of course, you could say that about all the expensive ME/CFS "cures" on the market - most of which I will not be testing out - but I have a good feeling about this one.

The two biggest health improvements I've had since being diagnosed occurred;

a) when I realised my old, musty doona cover made me feel far more like a hungover marathon runner who forgot to stretch than the new one; and

b) when I moved into my current apartment, which doesn't have the old house smell of my previous homes.

Also, as anyone reading this with CFS will know, chemicals found in perfumes, deodorants, air fresheners, incense, aftershave, scented candles and cleaning products tend to make us nauseous and dizzy.  The "Lynx Effect" is not a positive thing on people with CFS.

The fact that I can still smell the fire retardant chemicals in my two year old mattress on a bad fatigue day is a fairly sure sign that the effects of sleeping on it aren't the best.

The following is from an article in the Alternative Health Times:
"According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the average 5 year old sleeping on a fire proof mattress will absorb .5 mg of antimony every night, which is 63 times the amount the EPA says is safe. Antimony is very chemically similar to arsenic, and long term exposure has been shown to contribute to heart, liver and lung problems, miscarriages, and cancer.

In addition, the chemicals being used as flame retardants can combine with a common fungus (that frequently lives in mattresses) to produce toxic "nerve gases" which can have devastating effects on infants. In some cases, the gas produced is toxic enough to shut down an infant’s breathing within minutes, leading to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)."
If this is the effect regular mattresses are having on healthy people, I'd say MCS sufferers should be staying the hell away!

Most of my cool, new stuff will arrive on Monday.

So my question now becomes; would anyone like to buy an apparently poisonous, second hand mattress? Only been rained on two ... maybe three times due to my inability to keep the skylight closed when I leave the house.

3 comments:

  1. If you haven't found her blog yet, I highly recommend you visit http://www.4wallsandaview.com/2011/03/the-energy-conundrum-within-me/ Dominique has CFS/ME and multiple chemical sensitivities. She has blogged on her struggle to find acceptable products as well as her dealing with CFS/ME. She is a strong advocate for folks with these health issues.
    And, I think I'll pass on your mattress for sale, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there mates, its enormous article regarding educationand fully explained, keep it up all the time.


    Feel free to visit my web site: genf20 plus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring
    writers? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Kudos!

    my page ... virility ex

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...